Parenting Skills Counseling
The child-parent relationship has a major influence on most aspects of child development. When optimal, parenting skills and behaviors have a positive impact on children’s self-esteem, school achievement, cognitive development and behavior. Children raised by parents who are consistently responsive tend to have better emotional regulation development, social skills development, and mental health outcomes.
8 Tips From Parenting Experts
- It’s OK for Your Child to Be Mad at You. “Be a parent, not a friend.
- Treat Your Child With Respect.
- Look at the Big Picture.
- Give Effective Instructions.
- Use Natural Consequences.
- Problem-Solve Together.
- Use Discipline to Teach, Not Punish.
- Provide Praise for Good Behavior.
5 Steps to Positive Parenting
- Create a safe, interesting environment. Bored kids are likely to misbehave.
- Have a positive learning environment. If a child or teenager comes to you for help or a chat, they’re ready to learn.
- Use assertive discipline.
- Have realistic expectations.
- Take care of yourself as a parent.